A young, multitalented high school music educator, private instructor, composer, producer, performer, and accompanist. Holds a BA in Jazz Studies, and possesses a strong work ethic, attention to detail, indomitable passion, and a creative, flexible approach to Music Education.
Experience in the Field of Music
Frederick High School (Frederick, CO)
Director of Orchestras, Co-Band Director, Pit Director, Guitar, Piano & Music Technology Teacher, 2018 – Present
- Director of Orchestra program (currently 2 orchestras and 46 students, with 65 students already enrolled for 2019 – 2020 school year).
- Co-Director of Symphonic Band (72 students plus 12 percussionists and 10 color guard in marching season).
- Musical Director of Musical Theatre program (won the Colorado Thespian MainStage competition in 2018, performed at the Bellco Theater).
- Sponsor of two newly founded clubs: Young Composers Club, Warriors of Jazz Combo Club.
- Proposed and had a new course (Small Ensembles, a differentiated cover band/small group class) approved by Administration for 2019 – 2020 school year.
Frederick High School (Frederick, CO)
Collaborative Pianist (Paraprofessional Educator), 2017 – 2018
- Daily work in the classroom with choirs of all ability levels, including leading warm-ups and teaching the students their parts.
- Assistance in developing educational materials and practice tracks to further the students’ musical knowledge and song mastery.
- Personal mastery of full accompaniment repertoire for all concerts and competitions.
House Call Music; Maestro Music Institute; Kyle Liss Piano Studios
Piano and Music Production Instructor (Chicago, IL & Denver, CO Area), 2013 – Present
- Detailed work with students of all ages to discern their goals, develop a personalized curriculum, and instruct them in topics such as:
- Note/sight reading
- Classical and jazz music theory, tailored to each student’s musical interests
- Improvisation, transcription and ear training concepts and techniques
- Rhythmic sensibility and musical feel in a variety of styles
- Ableton/Pro Tools, fundamental – advanced skills, production, and mixing
Empowerment Church (Melrose Park, IL)
Musical Director, 2016 – 2017
- Transcription and co-arrangement with Worship Leader of each week’s selection of Gospel & Contemporary Christian songs.
- Lead musician during service and in pre-service rehearsals.
- Leader of weekly rehearsal with Worship Team vocalists.
- Leader of rehearsals with backing band, as needed.
- Management of backing band, including arranging substitutes and payment.
Chicago College of Performing Arts (Chicago, IL)
Contracted Accompanist and Band Leader, 2016 – 2017
- Accompanist in a variety of styles (jazz, Latin jazz, soul, etc.) for the New Deal Vocal Ensemble.
- Creative leadership of the backing band.
IndigoSun, Touring Band (Chicago, IL)
Keyboardist, Composer/Producer, Booking Agent, Manager, 2009 – Present
- Composed and was a lead producer on two studio albums of original music.
- Composed over 25 original songs, including many long-form through-compositions.
- As booking agent, responsible for communication with venues, contract negotiation, and maintaining a professional demeanor with a quick turnaround time.
- As manager, responsible for cultivating brand identity, and promoting the band through social media outlets.
- As producer, fluent in Ableton, VST instruments, Pro Tools, synthesizer programming, sound design, and mixing techniques.
First United Church of Christ (Forest Park, IL)
Choir Director, Pianist/Organist, 2007 – 2012
- Led weekly choir rehearsals, which involved teaching non-formally trained vocalists new material and concepts each week (e.g., pitch, rhythm, ensemble blending, musical markings, etc.).
- Accompanist for choir at weekly services.
- Organist/pianist for weekly services, which included frequent sight reading in services.
Lissin’ Jazz Quartet (Oak Park, IL)
Pianist, Bandleader, Booking Agent, 2006 – 2008
- Two studio albums and one live album of original music.
- Extensive gigging throughout the Chicago area.
- Bandleader role required management of group’s goals and band members’ availability, scheduling of rehearsals, composition, booking, communication with venues, etc.
Caltera School of Music (Berwyn, IL)
General Manager, 2006 – 2008
- Creation and editing of lesson and theory instruction materials in Sibelius.
- Scheduling of lessons and small group rehearsals.
- Communication with parents regarding payment and scheduling.
- Payroll management, bank deposits, and other financial work.
Experience in the Field of Customer Service
First Ascent Climbing and Fitness (Chicago, IL)
Customer Service Representative/Front Desk, 2016 – 2017
- As opener for the gym, was a shift leader with sole responsibility over the 25,000 square foot facility from the hours of 5:30am to 9am
- Received several performance awards for large-scale account updates
- Community Values award recipient
- Detailed and in-depth work with MindBody account management software
- Retail responsibilities including handling and counting cash drawer, accepting credit card payments over the phone, etc.
- Responsible for safety and facility orientations for new climbers, as well as safety certifications for more experienced climbers
- Was a part-time instructor for youth camps, kid’s climbing classes, and private climbing lessons
- CPR certified
Safigel Contact Lenses (Chicago, IL)
Customer Service and Shipping Manager, 2011 – 2013
- Please Note: Safigel is a B2B company that does not sell lenses to patients. As such, all work involved direct contact with high-level doctors and their staff.
- Personnel management, including:
- Training and managing employees in the Shipping Department to ensure efficient order processing, and that we were meeting Customer demand.
- Training and managing Customer Service Representatives to make sure that they were knowledgeable about our product, and able to answer any questions Doctors might have. This was often high-pressure, given the speed at which Doctors’ offices operate.
- Customer Service management, including:
- Lead role in the CS department, overseeing contact with accounts and aiding Representatives in delivering the best possible CS experience.
- Regularly scheduled follow-ups with accounts to make sure our Doctors’ offices were receiving all necessary promo materials, sample lenses, etc.
- Developing backorder fulfillment strategies, and following up with Customers during backorder periods to ensure their continued satisfaction.
- Oversight of our Customer database, including:
- Input of new Customers and update of Customer information in Intuit Quickbooks.
- Follow-up with new Customers to get complete information from Doctors’ offices.
- Work with the Sales Team, including:
- Generating weekly Sales reports for our Reps in Intuit Quickbooks.
- Regular communication with both our VP of Sales and our entire group of independent and contracted Sales Reps to ensure they had all materials needed and were well educated about our unique product.
- Data analysis in salesforce.com (cloud-based service) to aid the Sales Team.
- Inventory management, including:
- Tracking inventory both on-site and at our storage Center.
- Annual inventory assessment.
- Working directly with our President to create projections for inventory orders.
- Oversight of all shipping and receiving, including:
- Unpacking and checking in large shipments of product from Taiwan.
- Communication with International Shipping companies to receive our lenses on-time from our manufacturing plant in Taiwan and work through delays.
- Due to Safigel’s small size, actual packing/shipping of many orders.
- Due to Safigel’s compact workforce, this position included Sales work, such as:
- Encouraging Doctors offices who had heard about the lenses via advertisements or patient recommendation to purchase our sample kit, lens boxes, or even a 50-box bank ($2,000 value).
Kadampa Meditation Center Colorado (Denver, CO)
Former Co-webmaster and Volunteer Coordinator, Current Web Designer, 2017 – Present
- Coordination of volunteer base in critical roles at regular classes and special
- Assistance to the Education Program Coordinator.
- Assisted in a re-design and executed continuous updates of our WordPress-based site.
- Currently managing a complete redesign of our WordPress-based site.
Kadampa Meditation Center Chicago (Chicago, IL)
Webmaster and Education Program Coordinator, 2013 – 2017
- Work with our Resident Teacher to create class, workshop, and retreat programming to bring benefit to those interested in meditation.
- Copy creation for all classes, retreats, and workshops.
- Coordination of our volunteer base to assist with classes and special events.
- Executed a total re-vamp of our WordPress based website (www.MeditateInChicago.org) to make it more modern, clean, and functional.
- Creative thinking and problem solving to present information in the best possible way.
Master’s of Music Education, Began Study in 2019
University of Colorado at Boulder
Bachelor of Music, Jazz Studies, 2011
Roosevelt University’s Chicago College of Performing Arts
- CCPA Honors
- Member of the CCPA Jazz Orchestra (highest ensemble) for 3 years
- “Outstanding Soloist” award at Elmhurst College Jazz Festival
- 3.6 GPA (4.0 Scale)
- Other Music Education
- 9 years of classical piano instruction
- 2 summers of blues instruction w/ Erwin Helfer, a Chicago blues legend
- 4 years of piano, improvisation, and small ensemble jazz instruction (pre-college)
- 8 years of classical violin instruction and orchestral experience
Oak Park River Forest High School Diploma, 2008
- OPRF Honors:
- Exemplary marks on all standardized testing, including a 35 combined ACT score, and 5’s (highest score) on 3 AP exams
- 2008 Illinois State Scholar, National Merit Scholar
- Member of The Cum Laude Society
For references, please contact Kyle directly